STEP 4: DOWNLOAD IT
Download the EPUB Starter Package from GitHub. The package includes the accessible EPUB template for early grade readers and 2 Reference Sheets to help you keep your project organized.
Starting with an inaccessible EPUB content:
- Extract the EPUB file to get the assets such as images and other metadata details.
- Navigate to the directory of the EPUB you want to make accessible in your local machine.
- Using the eCanCrusher zip tool, drag the EPUB file onto eCanCrusher icon to automatically unzip, creating a new folder in the same location
- Grab the necessary files such as the images from the new folder.
The starter Package
To help you in getting started, a ready package has been tailored for you.
Create a new folder and name it based on the title of your original book.
For the purpose of this guide, I will refer to an alias "Book_X" as my book to be made accessible.
- Download the compressed package from here by clicking on the Download button.
- Copy the downloaded compressed file into the folder created.
- Right click on the compressed file then select 'Extract to Guide Package\' using your favorite extraction tool such as WinRAR or 7-Zip.
- Delete the compressed file.
- Navigate into the Guide Package folder to view the Mata and I folder, the Image Reference Sheet and the Metadata Reference Sheet.
The package constitutes the following:
- EPUB template package titled 'Mata and I'.
- Image reference sheet.
- Metadata reference sheet.
- File format of the book to be made accessible be in EPUB.
- A list of metadata of the book to be made accessible such as the book title, author(s), language.
- Extracted images of the front cover, back cover and any other image from the book to be made accessible.
Tools - The following MUST be installed to get started, reference Resources and Software section :
- eCanCrusher 1.2.0.
- Editor : Sublime Text Editor or Komodo Edit 11.0.2.
- Checkers : pagina EPUB-Checker and DAISY ACE.
- Reading systems : Readium for Chrome
- Screen reader : NVDA